About Dr. Madigan
Dr. Stephen Madigan – relationship specialist,
is recognized world wide as a highly gifted individual and couple therapist. His couple counselling, marriage counselling, separation counselling and divorce counselling services are unsurpassed in the city of Vancouver. Guaranteed.
Dr. Madigan practices a resource focused, cost efficient, resolution based therapy – offering long term healthy relationship results. On average, and depending on the issues brought forward, the majority of people attend couple counselling for 4-5 sessions.
- In 2017 Stephen traveled and taught couple therapy workshops on 5 continents.
- Stephen is the supervisor to Norway’s National Couple Conflict Team and consultant to Relationships Australia.
- In 2008 the American Family Therapy Academy selected Stephen as the recipient of their Distinguished Award for Innovative Practice in Couple and Family Therapy – Theory and Practice (a first for Canada).
- In 2011 the American Psychological Association (APA) published his book Narrative Therapy – theory and practice to be used as a primary text in all Graduate Psychology Program teaching (sold through amazon.com and Kindle).
- Stephen’s book on Narrative Therapy APA became a best seller list and the 2nd edition will be out in September 2018.
- Stephen’s book is accompanied by a set of six ‘live session’ DVD client interviews entitled Narrative Therapy Through Time. With the help of an an eight person film and production crew, the DVDs were able to fully capture the inner workings of his unique therapy practice. The DVDs are now on sale through amazon.com.
Dr. Madigan holds two Masters Degrees in Counseling (MSW, MSc) and a Doctorate Degree (PhD) in Couple and Family Therapy. He is the youngest Canadian to ever receive a PhD in Couple and Family Therapy.
Over 90% of Dr. Madigan’s current clients are couples. Vancouver’s lower mainland based couples (straight and queer) seek out his advanced therapeutic skills to more clearly understand and resolve the intricate complexities and conflicts facing couple relationships.
Dr Madigan’s history of therapeutic experience includes working as the (exclusive) contracted therapist for Vancouver’s Hollywood North Film and Television Industry’s 5,000 union members, actors and directors for 13 years (yes, he has seen it all). In addition, Stephen has consulted local, national and international school boards and university-based counselling programs, international torture and trauma centres, alcohol and drug treatment centres, homeless programs, youth and family care programs, government mental health agencies, AIDS and HIV programs, collaborative legal and financial firms, executive health centres, groups working with families with aging parents and – numerous inpatient eating disorder programs across the world.
Dr. Madigan is the director of the Vancouver School for Narrative Therapy and TCTV.live. He teaches narrative therapy workshops worldwide (see workshop schedule and references) and hosts the annual International Therapeutic Conversations conference. in Vancouver, Canada and Trondheim, Norway.
Stephen is the father of fabulous 22 year old twin daughters and a long retired member of Canada’s National Ultimate Frisbee team.