First time to couple counselling?
What to expect from your 1st session with Dr. Madigan
Couples Counselling and Marriage Therapist in Vancouver
- Your initial couple therapy session is crucial as you work with Dr. Madigan to more closely:
- Define your relationship intentions: separation, reunification or the couple doesn’t quite know,
- Define and understand the conflict/sadness that has brought your relationship to therapy,
- Moving from an individual focus to a relational focused relationship,
- Highlight the full story of the relationship including the couple’s history of values, dreams, preferred ways of being,
- Exploring the relationship’s relationship with other relationships (work, children, family, friends etc.), and the priority it is given,
- Comparing preferred relational values with the experience of relational conflict,
- Mapping the relational pathways forward (what practices to leave behind and what values/practices to bring forward),
- Dr Madigan’s therapy moves quickly so please bring a tape recorder to all sessions.
- Dr Madigan does not hold a bias – he follows the intentions of the couple for therapy regarding separation, reunification etc.,
- The average length of therapy is 4-5 sessions.